About the Flu
Influenza, commonly known as "the flu", is a contagious respiratory illness caused by a virus that spreads from close contact with infected persons or contaminated objects. Influenza illness is characterized by the abrupt start of fever (100 to 104 degrees), sore throat, headache, myalgia (body aches), nonproductive cough, and extreme fatigue, with symptoms lasting an average of 2 to 3 days. It's important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.
Flu activity most commonly peaks in the United States in January or February.
You cannot catch the flu from the flu vaccine.
The Center for Disease Control recommends that all persons 6 months old and older should receive the flu vaccine. Being vaccinated protects you and prevents spreading the flu to those around you.
Should you have any questions about this vaccine, please call the Nursing Division at 419-734-6800.
Adult Flu Shot Information
The Health Department will bill most insurance companies for those adults who bring their current insurance cards to their appointment. Flu vaccines are free with most insurance.
- The cost of the flu vaccine is $40 each (quadrivalent dose - 4 strains of flu viruses in 1 shot).
- High-dose flu vaccines will be $70 each (for age 65 and older).
To schedule a seasonal flu shot appointment, please call the Ottawa County Health Department at 419-734-6800.
Children's Flu Shot Information
Vaccines For Children (VFC) Flu Shots will be given to qualifying children 6 months to 18 years. In order for your child to qualify for those flu shots, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- You are an American Indian or Alaskan Native
- You are enrolled in Medicaid
- You do not have insurance
- You are underinsured, which includes:
- You have commercial (private health insurance but the coverage does not include vaccines
- Your insurance covers only selected vaccines
- Your insurance caps vaccine coverage at a certain amount (once that coverage amount is reached, the children are considered underinsured)
Parents whose children qualify for the VFC flu vaccine will be held responsible for paying an administration fee of $21.25.