Frequently Asked Questions

How much does it cost to record a document?

The fee for most documents is $28 for the first two pages and $8 for each additional page. (Each printed side is counted as one page.) Some documents require a marginal notation referring back to another document. For example, when a mortgage is paid off, the “Cancellation” must refer back to the original recorded mortgage. In these cases, the “notation” fee is an additional $4.

Does your county charge for a marginal notation on a deed?

No, in most cases. However, there will be a charge if the presenter requests that a notation to refer to the deed is made.

Should I prepare my own document?

We recommend that you consult an attorney for assistance.

Can you sell me a postage stamp to return my document?


How can I pay for the recording fee?

By cash, check or money order. We do not accept credit cards.

Can you change the name on my deed? Can you add a name to my deed?

No. You must have a new document prepared and then bring it to be recorded.

Are there any liens on my property?

Ohio law does not allow us to perform the research to answer your question. Come in (or send someone) to the Recorder’s office to search the records and determine whether there are liens. A professional title examiner can do this work for you.

When I send a deed to be transferred and recorded, may I send one check or money order that includes the total amount for the auditor’s and recorder’s fees?


Can I send my documents by mail?

Yes. You may send them by regular mail, by express mail or by courier.

If I call your office on the phone, what information should I have available so that you can help find documents about the property in question?

Tell us the name of the owner or tell us who owned the property immediately prior to the current owner. It will also help if you know the legal description of the property. (Mailing addresses are not on file here. If the mailing address is the only information that you have, please call the office of the County Auditor first at 419-734-6740). Please note that if you obtain information fromĀ our office by phone, it is your responsibility to verify its accuracy by examining the documents yourself or having a professional do this work on your behalf.

Will you provide copies by mail?

Yes. We require a self-addressed envelope with adequate postage affixed and we must receive the envelope and the fee before we will mail the copies. Usually the copies are mailed the day we receive the request.

Does the Recorder’s office sell or provide forms?